By Jennifer Van Der Kleut
Fairfax City Mayor Scott Silverthorne is exploring options the City may have for regulating pet/animal businesses after a puppy a local family purchased at a Fairfax City pet store died of a virus barely 36 hours after they brought him home.
WJLA reports that Suzanne and Tom Higgs helped their son purchase Snoopy, a 11-week-old Dachshund puppy, from Petland in Fairfax City a little over a week ago.
The Higgs were told by Petland's owners that Snoopy had been given a "clean bill of health" by a "certified veterinarian" when they purchased him, and that he had been given routine vaccinations, including a vaccine for parvovirus.
However, it's possible those vaccinations may have been too late, and that the puppy may have already been sick with parvovirus, a deadly virus that attacks the animal's digestive system.
Less than 24 hours after bringing him home, Snoopy was sick; 36 hours later, Snoopy was dead, according to WJLA.
Explanations seem to conflict. Petland owners reportedly told the Higgs family that the puppy must have contracted parvovirus from the vaccination itself. However, veterinarian Katy Nelson, whom WJLA reporters spoke with, said it is not possible to contract the virus from the vaccination.
“It's my opinion this disease was already on board and it turned into an active state of the disease,” Nelson told WJLA.
Mayor Scott Silverthorne said the incident concerns him, and that he plans to explore options the City has for regulating such businesses.
"I plan to ask our staff what authority we have to tighten regulations – or seek additional state legislative authority to regulate these types of facilities," Silverthorne told Patch Wednesday.
What's your take on this incident? Share your thoughts in the comments below.