June 17 is National Garbage Man Day and the Prince William Board of County Supervisors proclaimed June 17 as National Garbage Man Day in Prince William County.
The movement’s organizer encourages communities across the nation to take a moment and show appreciation for the men and women in the solid waste management industry and particularly, our trash collectors, for the life-saving service they provide on a daily basis. Prince William citizens and the business community are encouraged to recognize these workers during the week of June 16.
Like most people, once the trash and recycling are picked up from your home, business, or school, you probably don’t give it a second thought. You can thank the men and women in the garbage collection and solid waste management business for that.
Just imagine what our communities would be like without dependable collection and processing of unwanted, discarded waste and recyclables.
There are lots of ways to show your support and appreciation for the people doing these dirty, dangerous jobs. Here are some suggestions for the week of June 16, or any day:
· Bake some cookies for the crew
· Share a wrapped sweet treat or healthy snack
· Offer a cold bottle of water
· Give him or her a tip Say a personal “thank you”
· Leave a thank you note
· Call your trash collection provider and give a word of thanks for a job well done, it’s the same number you use for complaints.
· Meet your collector at the curb and help them lift your load to show your awareness of their efforts.
· Follow the provided guidelines for size and weight limitations and types of materials that are discarded in the regular trash.
· Use more caution when putting harmful items in the trash such as glass, medical waste, hot ashes, or improper disposable hazardous liquids.
· Take some ownership for our garbage contributions. Consider ways you can reduce, reuse and recycle the things being thrown in the garbage from your own home or place of business.
· Give the landfill attendants hearty thanks and “high five.”
If you are interested in learning more about National Garbage Man Day, and how you can show your support, go to www.garbagemanday.org. You can also send your celebration ideas and photos to PWCRecycles@pwcgov.org for the County’s Facebook page.